Mother’s day is approaching. Mother is a combination of sweet, appreciative, supportive and sometimes frustrated at the same time. In today’s world, mother can carry so many other roles in kids’ lives, that also made their needs very different from one to another.
For some families who have always had this tradition of gathering together and asked a lot of questions as to “what mom wants” before this day can be exciting and stressful at the same time.
Becoming a mother could be the best thing in the world. When you go through different phases of your children’s lives, you can’t help, but recall those days when you were little and what your own mom had done in the similar situations. One universal thing most mothers want is the same, the best for our children. It can carry different meanings in different family and situations, but ultimately mothers want to build up the best future for children, at least in most cases.
But what about moms themselves, what do they want the most in life? What are the best gifts they want on this special day dedicated to mothers?
As a mother myself, the best gifts are the gifts with thoughts.
If you are in the phase of saving and getting out of debt, the last thing on your mom’s mind is to add more stress onto your money concern. Mother is different from any other relationships. They care what children go through in life, including financial situations.
When it comes to gifts to mom while you are financially constrained, be creative on what you give with the needs of mom in mind.
1. Cook a meal for family gathering: very often the family gathering becomes a labor burden to moms in preparation and clean afterwards. Offer mom to cook without her help so that she can truly relax on mother’s day. Make a gathering more effortless for moms would be a great present for her.
2. Offer your help around the house. Does her house need to change a light bulb or air filter? Does she need to clean out the weeds in the yard? Ask mom to make a list of things around house that need to be done and offer your help. This is a quite effective way of making your mom happy.
3. Go to a lesson together. There are many lessons that both of you can enjoy together while getting not only a bonding time but also some skills out of it. Cooking lessons, cake baking lessons, painting lessons etc. Even though you might need to spend some money on it, pick one that can benefit both of you to make this spending an investment.
4. Bring some plants to her garden. No women can resist the beauty of flowers and plants, but instead of some daisy in the vase, plant something in her garden can bring so much more and long lasting joy to her life.
5. Offer your skills. Are you good at photography? Are you good at computer? Are you good at tax? Offer something that you are skillful and good at to help her learn. Moms always are curious about new generation and very often felt that they fall behind to new trends. Nothing makes her happier to be able to communicate with you in your own language. They try to find ways to get into your world and want to let you feel that they are with you. This is a great way of bonding together in your world.
6. Make something for her. Maybe a sweater if you are good at knitting, maybe a binder for her to organize her chores, maybe a list of things in town for her to explore. Mom will appreciate the thoughts and time you put in to provide this convenience for her.
If you don’t feel like having any particular skill to make a gift, there are many DIY videos and blogs that can show you step by step on how to design and make your own gifts. I always value the time people put into the gifts. To this day I still remember who knitted a blanket for my new born almost 13 years ago.
There is a misconception about giving gifts that gifts equal to money spent. It does not have to be pricey. The most important part of the gift is the thought of meeting someone’s needs. This is especially true if your mom is getting older who needs help, or, if your mom is a busy person while making sure you have home meals.
I am a single mother of two children. My children know that I am quite busy and would prefer to keep house neat and organized. Last year my children decided to get up earlier to clean the house and make a heart warming cards, it brought tears to my eyes. The actions that showed they understand me is priceless.
Hope you will find that most precious thing for this year mother’s day!
Simple Wealth For Women is a blogging website focusing on financial discussions. I help women to crush debt, learn how to invest and make more money. I show you simple approach and provide you with specific ideas to help you get to financial freedom and build an amazing life.